Wow! This has turned out to be a real pain.Â Below is a process I started, but ran into issues.Â I could see the module, but it would never make a Wlan0 to access using iwconfig or ifconfig.
I tried this on the Trendnet TEW-229UB and the TEW-424UB.Â Maybe because they are cheap devices, but heck, I spent something like $25 for both, and in Windows, they work perfectly.
After I had depmod -a and the ndiswrapper module listed (lsmod), everything seemed ok.Â The syslog had no errors on the 424, but never showed the wlan0.Â I could run lshw -C network, but would only show the wired adapter.Â I could run lsusb, and it would show the device.Â I could even run ndiswrapper -l and the device showed installed and hardware present.Â So, what the hell?Â No errors, everything working, but no WLAN0 shows up?
If I find more info, I’ll post it.
- make sure the ndiswrapper package is installed, so do that.
- Make sure that the wireless-tools package is installed. Probably is from the initial install.
- Get your wireless driver for Windows XP.
- Unpack the driver somewhere, then cd there and run ndiswrapper on driver. Something like so:
ndiswrapper -i driver.inf
I installed the Trendnet TEW-229 and that was:
ndiswrapper -i sis162u.inf
- Then let ndiswrapper setup the module.
- Then run: depmod -a
After that you’ll see the ndiswrapper module when you run lsmod.
And from here I can see the module, but don’t know what to do… I’ll try to figure it out though, and write it here!